Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thumb Print Cookes

My husband has been traveling for business this week.  He'll be back tonight, but I've been missing him in his absence.  Earlier this week, I promised someone that I'd pass along my recipe for Chocolate Thumb Print cookies - they don't call for eggs and she had mentioned that she was baking egg-free lately.  These cookies were my husband's favorite as a kid - he had an egg allergy and this cookie recipe was in high rotation in his home.

I always smile when I come across this recipe.  It was one of the first things I ever made for my husband when we were dating.  We'd been together for about 6 weeks and I was head-over-heels in love with him.  When he happened to cc me and his mother on some random e-mail, I began plotting a way to ingratiate myself with his mom.  I ended up sending her a private e-mail asking for one of my sweetie's favorite recipes to surprise him with.

She sent back this cookie recipe and it did the trick.  I scored mega bonus points with the woman who would eventually become my mother-in-law and after settling down from the mental freak-out that I'd been cavorting with his mom, my sweetie was also pleased.

Anyway, after digging up this recipe, I decided I had to make a batch for his arrival this evening.  They made a delicious mid-afternoon snack for me and I think he'll enjoy them tonight after a long week of food on the go.  That is, if there's any left by the time he gets home.


Chocolate Thumb Print Cookies

Batter:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. brown sugar
1.5 c. flour
2 Tbsp. milk
1/4 c. mini chocolate chips

Dusting:
powdered sugar

Filling:
3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. corn syrup

Mix butter, salt, vanilla, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add flour and milk until batter comes together.  Add chips.  Shape into 1" balls and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with your palm and then make a thumbprint in the center.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 or until slightly golden.  [I like to re-press the thumbprint while still hot.]  Cool and then roll in powdered sugar.

Melt chocolate, butter, corn syrup, and vanilla in a double boiler.  Heap into center of cookies and cool to set. 

4 comments:

Karin said...

yum! They sound delish! I am SO making these in a bit!

**nicke... said...

what a sweet story. i bet the cookies will make you score in other ways too... ;)

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Missing you too, baby doll. Thanks for the cookies. Always.

Linda R said...

Love your quilts. I especially like the twin quilts.